In a new series of articles, we’re introducing you to the fantastic people that work at Hawkesworth. We took ten minutes to talk with Lella Raw, our Sales Manager.
1. How long have you worked at Hawkesworth?
I joined Hawkesworth in November 2009, so nearly 13 years.
2. Tell us, in your own words, what you do in your role
I’ve worked in a few different departments while I’ve been at Hawkesworth, but I’m currently one of two sales managers.
The department I manage is a relatively new division of the business called ‘Additional Services.’ This covers all the services we provide that aren’t PAT testing, including EICRs and remedial work, emergency lighting, and fire risk assessments.
As Sales Manager, my role is two-fold. Firstly I manage the rest of the sales team, which includes account managers and business coordinators. The department has grown a lot over the past few years!
Secondly, I source new business for the department. I do this by reaching out to new customers and cross-selling our services to our existing customer base. When the work has been agreed, the team and I then liaise with the customers and engineers to ensure the job runs smoothly and the customers stay compliant.
3. What does a typical day look like in your role?
One thing I can tell you – there is no such thing as a typical day! Some days I carry out site visits, meet with customers over Zoom, and attend conferences. Other days are office-based and involve working on ongoing projects, liaising with suppliers, and training the team.
When I have some free time, I work on sourcing new business. This is one of my favourite parts of the job, as it’s incredibly rewarding when a sale comes through!
4. What do you like the most about working at Hawkesworth?
I really enjoy the variety of the role. I get to speak to a wide range of customers, engineers, and colleagues, and no two days are alike!
I also appreciate the relationship I have with my colleagues. I can genuinely say that everyone I work with I would regard as a friend. We all talk regularly out of work and often socialise too; Hawkesworth holds two social gatherings a year, which is a great opportunity to catch up with colleagues you don’t see often.
We spend a lot of our life at work, so it’s important that you have good relationships with the people you work with.
5. What has been your biggest success in your role to date?
Definitely the exceptional growth of Additional Services over the last few years. We’ve gone from offering services to a handful of select clients to offering a nationwide service. The team manages some very large accounts and provides services to some well-known household names.
All of this wouldn’t be possible without the exceptional team we have in place – they’re the key to our success, and should all be proud of what they have helped us achieve.
- What did you want to be when you were younger? When I was younger, I was really into equestrian sports and loved horses (I still do!) I’d have loved to have been a professional show jumper
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be? Sunday lunch with all the trimmings
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Definitely time travel – I’d love to go back in time and see what the world was like before humans, as well as spend time with loved ones who are no longer with us. It would be cool to go forward in time too and see what the world would be like in years to come
- What do you like to do outside of work? I have a five-year-old daughter, so her hobbies take up a lot of my time – she’s into football, hockey, dance, swimming, and has her own pony! We also have a puppy called Hugo who loves walks and tormenting our cat, Skye. To relax, I enjoy a glass of wine and a good book
- Tell us a fun fact about yourself. I have an unbelievably good memory – my team is often blown away that I can remember postcodes and phone numbers of customers I haven’t spoken with for years. You can never win an argument with me as I remember everything!