Do I need an EICR to sell my house?

Do I need an EICR to sell my house?

We’re often asked by customers if they need an EICR to sell their property.

An EICR (or Electrical Installation Condition Report) checks the electrical installation in a property to ensure safety. You may also hear it referred to as an electrical safety certificate or fixed wire testing.

If you’re asking the question: ‘do I need an EICR to sell my house?’ or ‘do I need an EICR to sell my flat?’ this short article will help.

Do I need an electrical safety certificate to sell my house?

The good news is that you don’t need an EICR to sell your house or flat.

However, an EICR certificate can provide prospective house buyers with peace of mind, especially in a property with older electrical circuits.

It’s recommended that homeowners have an EICR carried out every ten years to make sure the electrical installation is safe. If you have an EICR that is in date, we recommend having your EICR certificate available in case prospective buyers ask to see it.

Some estate agents may ask to see proof of a valid EICR in order to sell your home for you.

Do I need an electrical installation certificate to sell my house?

An Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) is different from an EICR.

An EIC proves that an electrical installation has been fully or partially replaced, and is safe to use. If you have an EIC in place, you need to give this to the new homeowner when you sell.

The buyer wants the electrics tested before they buy my house. Do I have to oblige?

The buyer can include a request for an EICR as a condition of sale or as part of the negotiation process.

Typically the onus is for the buyer to cover the cost of the EICR and any remedial work, although this is subject to negotiation.

Can I sell my house with an unsatisfactory EICR?

As an EICR is not a legal requirement when selling a home, you can sell a property with an unsatisfactory EICR. By an ‘unsatisfactory EICR‘ we mean an EICR which has uncovered electrical work that needs to be done to make the house safe.

However, bear in mind that the buyer might ask for a discount as a condition of sale.

Do I need an EICR if I’m renting my home or flat?

The rules are slightly different if you have a rental property. If you are a landlord, you need to have an EICR carried out every five years by law.

We’ve put together a comprehensive guide for landlords and EICR requirements.

We’re the UKs Number 1  trusted voice of experience in the industry, who are regularly consulted to give our expert opinions with industry governing bodies.

Through our national network of fully certified engineers, Hawkesworth provide a range of technical compliance and testing services to ensure you’re not at risk – we’ve got you covered!

From your Electrical Installation and Portable Appliances with EICRPAT and Thermographic surveys to Fire Safety with Fire Risk Assessments, Fire Alarm Testing and Emergency Lighting.

Get in touch and see how we can help you